ECS includes 2,551 students, 183 educators, and 14 administrators working together daily to achieve academic excellence and growth. In 2016-17, amid the introduction of more rigorous standards statewide and the move to online testing in grades 3-8, performance and growth were both exceptional. Administrators attribute it to an increased focus on early literacy through Read to be Ready (introduced in 2016-17), new formative assessment tools at all grade levels, and increasing alignment between curriculum, college and career. Kindergarten and first grade teachers made the switch to standards-based grade cards, which they hope will provide better data for parents to support their children in school. The focus at all grade levels is providing quality data to guide individualized instruction.
- Exemplary District (1 of 48 in TN)
- 99.5% Graduation Rate (3rd District in TN)
- Level 5 TVAAS Growth
- Reward School: West Side Elementary
- 126 Honors Diplomas (62% of seniors earned 3.0+ GPA)
- 20.7 ACT Composite (during year in which TN had record high 20.1)
- 10 seniors graduated with 4.0 GPA
- 13 students scored above 30 on ACT
- EHS named US Civics All-Star School
- Nestor Grubb appointed to West Point
- Jordan Teague named Roan Scholar
- Allison Riddle received E. E. Perry Memorial Scholarship
- Cortlyn Holdren, Sydney Wright named ETSU University Honors Scholars
- Joshua Nave awarded Presidential Scholarship, General Assembly Merit Scholarship
- 3 Advanced Creative Writing students’ plays were finalists in Barter Theater Young Playwright Competition.